Thursday, December 4, 2014

Birth Story

   I have been wanting to write my birth story on here for a while now. With a newborn, traveling, and just life in general, it's been extremely hard. I finally forced myself some time, five months later haha. I knew I HAD to document this most important event in my life as soon as possible, before the thoughts and experience is more of a memory, instead of the magical time it was and still continues to be. Alright, so here goes: 
   The last month of my pregnancy was rough. I started having contractions at around 36 weeks and my doctor was thinking Truman would come early. I literally had no more room for the little guy to grow! I had to go in for stress testing twice a week to make sure he was ok. The first few times were fine and we passed the tests with flying colors. At about 38 1/2 weeks we failed the stress test and were sent to the hospital immediately. We were there for hours doing testing and I thought for sure I would be induced. We finally were given the news that Truman was still doing fine and we were sent home. That whole month was so nerve wracking and emotional. It's so hard being pregnant! Not only is it hard physically, but so emotionally draining. I was constantly worrying about the baby and counting each movement he made. 
   On June 24th, four days shy of our due date, my water broke at 4 am. Well I say I know my water broke, but at the time we weren't so sure. I had had so many "false alarms" that the last thing I wanted to do was have another. I had some strong contractions, but still that was daily for the last few weeks. With my concerns, I immediately woke Sid up and after deciding it may be another false alarm we ended up staying in bed and tried to sleep some more until around 4:45 when my contractions started getting stronger. We started timing the contractions and they were getting closer and closer and stronger and yes, even STRONGER (yup I have to emphasize the "stronger".  Haha- I can laugh about it now, but it certainly wasn't anything to giggle about then! It may be the 5 months that have passed, you know some of the memories fading like I mentioned earlier;) Anywaysss: Because I had been to the hospital and sent home a couple of times, I wanted to be sure I was in labor this time. I already had an appt scheduled for 9 am with my doctor, so I decided to try and wait it out until then. (I know better now) So, I got in the shower and tried to work through the contractions. After, I bounced on the ball, stretched, got ready, and ate because I had heard once you're in labor they won't let you eat and there was nooo way I was going to possibly starve the entire day!   
   On the way to the doctors, my contractions were about 5 mins apart. And strong! When we finally got there, they rushed me to the back and got me all checked out. I was definitely in labor and dilated to a 2. I was thrilled it was here...THE day I was finally going to meet my son!! But yet, I was nervous I was being given false hope as I had been to the hospital before and sent home. I was assured there was NO going back, that it was definitely happening! If I could, I would've jumped for joy haha. The nurse even told us she felt a head full of hair! Umm cause for more celebrating! She instructed us to go straight to the hospital. 
   We drove to the hospital and got all checked in and we were put in a room. I was dialated to a three by then and my contractions were coming on even stronger. I hadn't officially decided on whether or not to get an epidural, but as the pain got more and more intense and I wasn't dialating quickly after some time, I decided the labor would be more tolerable with one. A few hours later I was checked again and only dialated to a 5! 5?! I was so sure I was getting close. I tried sleeping and doing anything to keep my mind off of the contractions. I was checked again later and they found that my water wasn't all the way broken and that Truman was "sunny side up". They finished breaking my water and that's when things really sped up.  

   My husband and mom were both with me coaching me on, but after nearly 10 hours since we left the house, they were both starving . We assumed it would take a while longer since I was progressing so slowly. My husband ran downstairs to the food court to grab a bite to eat and then switched with my mom who then went downstairs. A little after my mom left, I started getting really really uncomfortable and told my husband to call the nurse. She came in and checked me...and I was at a 10! I couldn't believe it. She asked me if I was ready to push and I answered yes. That's when all the lights were pulled out and people came running in. My husband was trying to call my mom as I was getting ready to push. She came in just in time. I had them on each side and started to push. I pushed once, twice, three times and the fourth time I "put my game face on" (as my husband called it haha) and gave it my all. They said they could see his head and that's when the emotions took over and I started balling, pushed one more time and he was out! 

   Truman Jon Thompson, straight from Heaven, weighed 6.3 oz, 19 1/2 inches born at 8:20 PM in Royal Oak, Michigan. It was THE MOST amazing, emotional, out of body experience ever. Never have I felt stronger, more capable, or proud. The doctors placed him on my chest and I was overcome with emotions. It was love at first sight. Literally. I have heard that said many a times, but this moment truly translated it into reality for me. Truman stared right at me, he knew me already. I knew that. At that very moment, we formed an unbreakable bond. I fell in love with my sweet baby boy. He was pretty swollen from being stuck in the birth canal, but none the less, still so perfectly perfect. He nursed immediately and I gushed with joy. I can't believe I was lucky enough to be blessed with this perfect boy to care for and love and cherish. He has truly changed our lives in so many ways, undoubtedly for the better. What was life before him? THIS is pure joy. He makes us want to be better and try harder at everything we do. We are forever grateful and thank our Heavenly Father everyday for our sweet everlasting blessing. What an AMAZING day. I can't wait to share this story with him every year on his birthday and/or any time he wishes. There's no doubt he will know just how loved he's been since day 1. We love you forever, Truman Jon Thompson. To the moon & back <3

Side note: We've been asked many times how we came up with his name. My mom actually suggested Truman and we fell in love with it immediately. We chose Jon as his middle name because both Sid's dad and my dad are named Jon (and spelled that way too)! It fits our little guy perfectly :) 

1 comment: